21 km from Dinajpur city. Kantjiu temple is located in Kantnagar village of Kaharol thana in the distance. According to many, it is called Kantjiu Temple because it is located in Kantnagar. It is said that this temple was built to house the idols of Lord Krishna. Prannath Roy, the then zamindar of Dinajpur, started the construction of this temple in 1822, which was rich in terracotta ornaments. However, the construction work of this temple could not be completed during his lifetime. Later, in 1852, his foster son Ramnath completed the construction of the temple. He then dedicated this temple to Lord Krishna.
The architectural style, the layout, the ingenuity of the temple make the whole scene so beautiful that there is no other more beautiful, eye-catching temple in Bangladesh. In artistic analysis, this temple stands on a square parallel space made of stone, about 3 feet high and 60 feet in arms. The temple is built in 3 steps according to the monument plan. Overall, the temple looks like a huge chariot. The three-storied and square temple is 52 feet long and 60 feet high. The upper dome took on the shape of a house after parts were broken in an earthquake in 1897. There were 9 lovely peaks on the top of the dome before the earthquake broke. There are two brick pillars in front of the verandah. This pillar has three open doors attached to each side of the wall. The two doors on the south side of the second floor are more noticeable. After this door is the main room inside, there are 16 rooms in total. There are small rooms around the big rooms.
There are millions of terracotta paintings under the temple altar and on the walls. In addition to the terracotta with mythological paintings, there are also terracotta statues of different statues in different places on the walls of the temple. Among these terracotta are images of men and women, gods and goddesses, singers and musicians, warriors and hunters, housewives, boatmen, dancing women, palanquin bearers, plants, fruits and flowers, herbs and leaves. Next to the Kantjiu temple is a temple with an almost ruined pinnacle, also built by Maharaja Prannath. King Prannath built this temple and installed an idol of Krishna here. This idol he brought from Vrindavan. The temple had a 16-sided monument and was 40 feet high. According to the tradition of Kantjiu temple, a fair is held here every year on the full moon day.
From Dinajpur Central Bus Station to Pirganj by bus to Kantnagar fare is 20-25 rupees per person. The temple is a little ahead after crossing the Dhepa river. In winter, you can cross the river on foot, but in the rainy season, you have to cross by boat.